There's nothing more comforting than a hot tomatoe soup and grilled cheese sandwich on a gray and rainy day.
For this recipe, I ditched the cans and went homemade.
6 tablespoons olive oil
4 large carrots, peeled and diced
1 large onion, sliced
1 tablespoon dried basil, crushed
6 pounds of fresh crushed tomatoes
1 quart chicken broth
1 pint heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh Parsley for garnish
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering.
2. Add carrots and onions. Cook until it begins to soften. It will take about 15 minutes
3. Add basil and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and broth. Bring to boil. Simmer for 30-40 minutes stirring constantly.
5. Puree the soup in the blender until smooth.
6. Strain the soup and put it back in the saucepan
7. Stir in cream little by little over very low heat
8. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley.
9. Serve warm!